FREE USA SHIPPING, REDUCED RATE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING.
(In the photos small robot shown only for comparison purposes. Small robot not included in Megapod kits, see our original Vorpal The Hexapod Kit.)
Twice the size in every direction (that's eight times the volume), the Megapod dwarfs our best-selling Vorpal hexapod. Perfect for public demonstrations and exciting classroom projects.
If you want a project that really turns heads, Max fits the bill! It can be printed on a build area of only 8 inches cube (about 200mm cube). We have an option that includes all the parts that won't fit on a 6 inch cube (150mm) build area for those of you with smaller printers.
(Looking for something smaller, easier to build, and less expensive? Check out our awesome Vorpal The Hexapod Kit (Click here), built by over 1000 people worldwide!)
NOTE: We are working on an even larger version, the Gigapod, and although we will make this new project open source when it's complete we do not plan on selling kits. The Megapod kit shown on this page will be the largest version that we sell as a kit.
SOFTWARE COMPATIBLE WITH VORPAL THE HEXAPOD
Here's a video showing the Megapod (purple and red) side by side with our original kit (yellow).
As you can see, all the same moves are available, using the same gamepad. The big guy is also compatible with the very same Scratch programs you've written for our original hexapod! (Although it will move about twice as far, everything scales up!)
|KIT TYPE||Electronics & Fasteners for Megapod & Gamepad||3D Printed Parts||Minimum 3D Printer Build Area To Make Parts||Assembled|
|MEGAPOD MAKER KIT||YES||NONE||200mm Cube||NO|
|MEGAPOD BIG PARTS AND ELECTRONICS KIT||YES||ONLY THE LARGEST 3D PARTS||150mm Cube||NO|
|MEGAPOD COMPLETE KIT||YES||ALL 3D PARTS||No printer needed, all 3D parts provided||NO|
- Megapod Maker Kit: Has all the electronics and hardware items you need for both gamepad and Megapod robot. You make the 3D printed parts. Requires a 3D printer with a build volume of 200mm cube or more.
- Megapod Big Parts And Electronics Kit: Contains everything in the Megapod Maker Kit plus the larger parts (Megapod Base and Cap). You print the other parts on your own 3D printer, which only needs a build volume of 150mm cube since we're providing the parts that require a larger build volume than that.
- Megapod Complete Kit: All the electronics and hardware as well as all the 3D printed plastic parts for both gamepad and Megapod robot.
NOTE: Batteries are not included, see below for battery information.
NOTE: Megapod Maker kits are made to order so allow 1 week before shipping. Megapod Complete kits are made to order and due to 3D printing time may require up to two weeks of processing time before shipping.
The Megapod supports all the same features as our best-selling Vorpal The Hexapod:
- Control Vorpal from the included Gamepad, able to execute 60 different motions and in Deluxe models can record and play back gamepad actions.
- Fully supports the MIT drag-and-drop programming system to create your own custom motions, read sensors on the robot. Deluxe packages even allow new motions to be stored on the gamepad and called up using gamepad buttons of your choice!
- All 3D models are open source: modify them and add your own hacks and extensions to your heart's content! All software is also open source.
- Tons of fun activities are posted on the Vorpal Robotics Website.
WHAT'S NOT IN THE BOX
- Magapod Battery Pack/Charger. The Megapod uses a 4000 mAH (or more) 5-cell NIMH battery (6.0 Volts) with Tamaya connector and compatible charger. We are evaluating a number of commercially available batteries from major RC battery suppliers and will document our recommendations on our website in advance of the pre-order ship date. You can expect the Megapod robot's battery and charger total combined cost to be approximately $50.
- Gamepad Battery/Charger. The gamepad takes any kind of standard 9v rectangular batter, either rechargeable or disposable work fine. These are commonly available from many sources.
- The Megapod is not a toy. The motors included in this kit are capable of causing severe pinch injuries or even snapping finger bones. Keep fingers clear of legs during operation.
- Do not allow children to operate the Megapod unsupervised.
- Operating the Megapod on wooden floors may scratch them.
The plastic parts included in some kits are 3D printed. The 3D printing process naturally results in a textured, layered surface that is not smooth. There may be minor imperfections such as threads of plastic or small drips. These will not impact the usability of the product.